Thursday 11 July 2013

Just When You Least Expect It...

I never wanted this to feel like a chore or something that I had to do. I think I've been pretty clear about my intent and sometimes it feels like there is simply nothing more I really want to say or share or expose. But just when I feel like calling the whole thing off, something random and amazing happens. Specifically, someone actually named "Bess" stumbled upon my wee blog - and even took the time to write a comment. I don't think she could possibly know that at the precise moment she likely was pressing "publish" I was composing my final note in my head. It may not be such a gift for anyone who might think it's enough already and might cheer at the prospect of it coming to an end, but it certainly felt like a sign to me - some divine intervention on a Thursday that was rather nondescript as Thursdays go.

I witnessed a conversation the other day among some bloggers who were discussing whether it is the audience or the number of comments that dictate "success". For me, a person with a very small footprint in the world, I haven't paid much attention to the numbers and statistics are not my strong point. But I do have to say it is the most amazing feeling to have someone you do not know reach out to you when you least expect it. When I started this blog, my first post was entitled "This is the sound of one voice" (stolen mercilously from the Wailin' Jennie's song). Sometimes the sound - or the written echo - of one other voice, is all that you need.

9 comments:

  1. Glad you made the decision. I like the blog, and your observations, and the fact that it's written - or feels like it's written - without worrying about who or how many people are reading. Like a conversation with anyone who might be interested, now or in the future.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul...to you and your powers of observation, my thanks!

      Delete
  2. Michelle!
    I was ecstatic to see your post this morning.
    Isn't it amazing what wonderful things happen when we follow our heart. For me it wasn't a question of commenting, because somewhere within me I knew I had to connect with you. I wrote you more, but as I don't have your email and didn't want to leave a novel on your comments, just see my post entitled a few gifts: http://becomingbess.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-few-gifts.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bess...reading your blog was the best gift I could have received today...with love...

      Delete
  3. How cool is that....wow! There is your sign to keep blogging. Thanks Bess and Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, awesome Michelle. For me and my blog, it's definitely the audience and not the number. I started my blog 11 years ago and while it's fun to check in on numbers now and again (for which there is little point since I only post once a month, at best!), just getting a single email in response makes it worthwhile--a genuine moment of connection with someone. That's cool.

    And remember, just because people don't engage--you may not know they are there--it doesn't have to mean they aren't reading and taking real value from your words. worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, an important reminder! Thanks for taking the time to write...

      Delete
  5. Yay to the mysterious Bess for keeping you writing! Don't let it feel like a chore - remember, nobody's paying you. (And if they are, could you please send them my blog too and ask if they'll pay me as well?)Write when the spirit moves you, although I've always found that the more you write, the more the spirit moves you. We're reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that means everything to me, Jody! Thanks for so generously urging me on...

      Delete