Thursday 7 November 2013

When The Fifteen Minutes Has To Stop

I admit it. I mocked, shared, derided, retweeted and posted my fair share of Rob Ford's humiliating ride to the bottom. As one who currently sits at the bottom, you'd think I would have known better - seen the connection far sooner than now. But I am done - ashamed to be a party to it - along with the people of Toronto, the country, the world. I get it - it is too juicy to ignore - too rich with punch lines to let it go. It is the train wreck that keeps repeating - it will not stop - and the toadies and enablers keep feeding this beast while we the audience lick our chops on the sidelines. Yes he is a public figure - "running" a massive city - so anything goes - anything is fair game - he asked for this when he ran for public office - and yes I can get the joke. But this ugly, sad spectacle has turned so sour, the denial so deep and unyielding that I really have to look away. Because there go I and one million other people, living out a litany of behaviours that are all about the power of addiction - of not being able to stop. I could continue to stare and to participate - and really I do not blame or judge anyone who does - but I personally - right this minute, need to look away.

2 comments:

  1. I've wondered how much of the determination to laugh at Rob Ford, and focus on the crack rather than the alcohol, is masking a broad uneasiness about people's own addictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true Paul - within the legions watching it unfold are countless souls who have no doubt been touched in some way personally - perhaps not on this scale - but I know many people for whom it rings too uncomfortably true. I truly don't mean to pontificate about people's choices - as the denial is equally powerful.

      Delete